Directory of Personal Information Banks
Each Alberta government department is required to have a directory of personal information banks (PIBs) that lists the type of personal information held by a public body, a list that is made available to the public. A member of the general public can view a personal information bank to get information about:
- The title or name of the information bank
- The location of the information bank
- What kind of personal information is contained in the information bank
- What categories of individuals the information pertains to
- Why the information was collected and how it is used and/or disclosed
- The legal authority for the collection of the information
A personal information bank does not provide direct access to an individual’s records; rather, it provides information about the kind of content the records contain and the reason it was collected.
For further information on how to obtain personal records, please contact the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Officer for the Provincial Archives of Alberta.
Download: Directory of Personal Information Banks for the Provincial Archives of Alberta